Wednesday, April 10, 2013

This is a heart balm...an effective one at that!

Sayo Aluko (Monday, December 27, 2010)

I've read this poem many times, and for the umpteenth time, it's heart-grasping effects bore afresh on me anytime I read it again. It's tiltled "INVICTUS" (latin 4 d  word 'undeafeated").have it too  below;


_Out of the night dt covers me,
Black as d pit frm pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

_In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

_Beyond this place of wrath & tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds & shall find me unafraid.

_It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged wit punishments d scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
                   _by William Ernest Henley (1849–1903).

No comments:

Post a Comment